Monday, February 21, 2011

Mary Magdalene

13/1000 Hearts, 14"x11", acrylic on canvas, sold

Throughout history there are so many women whose lives will always essentially remain a mystery to us. Mary Magdalene is one of these. Although historians and anthropologists have attempted to reconstruct her life, to a large extent, it remains unknown. In the world of art there is also a lack of  images of female spiritual leaders and I started wondering what some of these women, had they been depicted more by artists, might look like. Perhaps by daring to imagine these women, we might in some way fill in some of the bits of history which are missing.

While working on this piece I did some of my own research on Mary M. and found that the short of it is that she likely had a much bigger role during the beginnings of Christianity and the formation of the church than what has been known until now. Also, the belief that she was the prostitute that washed Christ's feet is erroneous (according to the sources I found), but has been promulgated in spite of that.

This painting was started during a shamanic journey which I was led on by one of my teachers, Katherine Skaggs http://www.katherineskaggs.com/. I started this painting not knowing what would happen and not even planning to paint Mary M. Initially all I painted was one of her eyes, but slowly, she revealed herself to me and as I worked on the canvas, she appeared.

I completed Mary after taking a class at the Cosmic Cowgirl University with Shiloh Sophia McCloud, an amazing artist and teacher! Check her out.
http://www.cosmiccowgirlsuniversity.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment